Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Make It So: Like Jean-Luc

It is a widely known fact that I have the best friends in the world. You probably think your friends are pretty great, but I guarantee mine are better. Here is some proof. Last week, Marissa came over for the Do-It Club and told me to close my eyes and hold out my hands. And this, my internet friends, is what she placed in them.



I yelped like Coco the chihuahua does when she sees a lap she has access to. Marrissa was looking through the Strand's clearance shelves and found this treasure: a non-fiction book on how to manage your business or your life or something by using the example Jean-Luc Piccard, captain of the Enterprise in Star Trek: the Next Generation. 


I fucking love Star Trek: the Next Generation. I love it because I watched it as a youngster. I even got some action figures from Santa one year. My dad still has them somewhere in his ridiculous mansion. In all seriousness, trying to divorce myself from nostalgic feelings, I think this is a really good show!

It's interesting to watch now in the golden age of television, where protagonists from Don Draper to Leslie Knope are deeply flawed and often making huge mistakes. It is refreshing, even if it is a little old-fashioned, to have a main character who always has a clear sense of right and wrong. The show could easily be preachy and moralizing, but somehow it's not. Also it has Worf, who is awesome.

Here is the table of contents:


And the nerds who wrote it:




When I was leafing through for it and there were two pictures in it!


I'm not sure if the dude in the pictures is the same dude. Well, it's the same dude in this instance: 


Where are these people where they are getting a formal-ish portrait taken while wearing Hawaiian shirts? I do like how they're in space though. It's appropriate considering where I found them. 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Please – for the love of all that is sacred – let me borrow this book. Also: Thanks for keeping that ol' Elizabeth in good hands in NYC. XO!